Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: joejones
TL;DR VERSION
  • ANA award seats are strictly limited in quantity. Unless you have status with the ANA program, there is usually only one first class seat and one business class seat made available per flight.
  • Awards become available for booking to ANA Mileage Club members 355 days before departure at 9am JST, and almost all First and Business Class award seats get booked within minutes at this time.
    • Most partner airlines (e.g. Virgin Atlantic and United) do not allow you to book this early.
    • If using ANA miles, you need to fly round-trip, which creates a catch-22 for itineraries starting in North America because there will be no return flight available yet.
  • After T-355, availability shows up at random times due to other people canceling their reservations. You have to be flexible and search frequently across multiple dates and cities.
  • If ANA upgrades a route's equipment to a 777-300ER with First Class, it will result in an award seat being available every day on the calendar. Get them while they're hot.
  • Some flights will show more award availability 2-3 weeks before departure, especially during low seasons.
  • Useful search tools include ANA's website, United's website, point.me (available to Amex MR cardholders), and seats.aero.
Print Wikipost

ANA Award Availability

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

ANA Award Availability

Hello,

After 2 cancellations of our trips to JPN in first class over the last 2 years I was checking for awards and found no availability in J and F at all.
Am i missing something or they are not releasing any award seats for the next year?

Thanks.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:15 pm

No you're not missing anything, it's just a crazy time to book. Are you trying to book 1 or 2 J/F seats? I just checked on ANA's site and when searching for 1 passenger, all 4 flights were open, but when i searched for 2 passengers, they were all waitlisted, which most likely means that all 4 flights are booked with a single ticket since there are only ever 2 award seats released.
not2017 and Manuelaviajera like this.

Last edited by spicymochi; Oct 11, 2021 at 7:52 pm
Old Nov 5, 2021, 8:31 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
I'm running into the same scenario, even for just 1 passenger, as far back as March 2022 everything is waitlisted. I'm scrambling to use my miles before they expire, now I regret putting my miles here rather than TK.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 10:09 am
ZR2

Programs: Bonvoyed
I just booked 2 seats, and it was fairly open on availability. You likely have to change your outbound to one of the larger hubs, e.g. LAX/SFO/JFK.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by ZR2
I just booked 2 seats, and it was fairly open on availability. You likely have to change your outbound to one of the larger hubs, e.g. LAX/SFO/JFK.
I just redeemed my miles and had to pick return date at latest possible (Oct 22), may not be able to fly for many reasons, ironically, I found confirmed booking out of SEA (just 1 day around late March), and couldn't find any from LAX/ORD/JFK/SFO. Had to check each day to find the availability for the long haul J segments, which will give you clue on the availability. Connecting to secondary cities will result in Y domestic flights.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 12:56 pm
ZR2

Programs: Bonvoyed
Originally Posted by vincewy
I just redeemed my miles and had to pick return date at latest possible (Oct 22), may not be able to fly for many reasons, ironically, I found confirmed booking out of SEA (just 1 day around late March), and couldn't find any from LAX/ORD/JFK/SFO. Had to check each day to find the availability for the long haul J segments, which will give you clue on the availability. Connecting to secondary cities will result in Y domestic flights.
Oct makes sense as most ANA partners only see availability ~330 days in advance vs 355 days for ANA miles so you're only competing with those that have ANA miles and not United miles.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 1:09 pm

I'm basically trying to salvage the miles I have and to use at least outbound (reverse).

My intent is to try to book BR nonstops between TPE and anywhere in US, used Chicago, and found out TPE-SEA-ORD (SEA-ORD in Y with UA) available with TPE-SEA in J and rebook with only TPE-SEA and ORD-TPE open jaw. ORD-TPE return is almost 1 year later (this is how far you'll need book to optimize your NH miles).

Given the difficulty of redeeming NH miles I'll be shifting my AmEx spending (MR points) toward Citi TYP instead

Last edited by vincewy; Dec 19, 2021 at 7:52 pm
Old Nov 8, 2021, 11:47 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
So Oct 2022 is the only month that has availability in J?
On a separate note, how do you guys look for routes?

I tried to do JFK / ICN R/T and it's impossible to search... you choose a date, it says seats are available, only to get Y on the JFK / NRT, or be waitlisted in J.
How do you "see" dates then? Everything is so slow

Last edited by Gasolin; Nov 8, 2021 at 11:59 am
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Gasolin
So Oct 2022 is the only month that has availability in J?
On a separate note, how do you guys look for routes?

I tried to do JFK / ICN R/T and it's impossible to search... you choose a date, it says seats are available, only to get Y on the JFK / NRT, or be waitlisted in J.
How do you "see" dates then? Everything is so slow
I got those segments confirmed, not wait listed using *A award (95K miles) last Friday

TPE -SEA (March 2022)
ORD-TPE (Oct 2022)

Both are BR nonstop, I also saw OZ awards available out of SEA, maybe you can find something sooner than Oct to/from SEA. It'd always be better to fly nonstop during pandemic.

Unlikely NH, I was able to choose award business saver to Asia with TK pretty much wide open other than around Xmas and New Year out of NYC and ORD, although TK has other types of issues (another topic).
bizum likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 1:29 pm

Has anyone been able to find First Class flights from the US to Haneda besides JFK in November 2022? It looks like the LAX to HND flights got switched to the 789s.

Last edited by RogueExplorer; Nov 27, 2021 at 11:42 pm Reason: JFK disappeared
Old Nov 29, 2021, 9:02 am

Is there a trick to find a JFK/Tokyo even in J for awards for two? The ANA search tool is so difficult to use, every time. they only show the waitlisted flights.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Gasolin
Is there a trick to find a JFK/Tokyo even in J for awards for two? The ANA search tool is so difficult to use, every time. they only show the waitlisted flights.
Search on United, look for saver awards. It is a better search functionality
Old Nov 30, 2021, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Search on United, look for saver awards. It is a better search functionality
Thanks, it seems that there are no saver awards for J recently unfortunately (or the famous I class ticket).
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by RogueExplorer
Has anyone been able to find First Class flights from the US to Haneda besides JFK in November 2022? It looks like the LAX to HND flights got switched to the 789s.
just found this out too when I tried rebooking a July 2022 F seat to Nov 2022. I’m exLAX but seems like the only 777 flight available is from JFK, not sure if it’s new hard product though.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 4:13 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond, JAL JGC Sapphire, Asiana Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Hyatt Globalist
On my 5 flights so far this year, JFK has been consistently the new configuration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.